Welcome to Malmö – welcome home
Malmö and Sweden’s southernmost region Skåne provide the best environment for game development. At least according to the thousands of developers already living here. The region features world-class studios, talent, games, opportunities to grow professionally, a nurturing ecosystem and a social and inclusive developer community.
The region also features world-class quality of life. Malmö and south Sweden is a great place to live, providing both big city life and a countryside with shifting nature. Plus, Malmö is one of the world’s most diverse and international cities, and one of the most sustainable. Game developers from around the globe bring their families along to enjoy high and affordable living standards, great schools and healthcare, plenty of leisure activities and an enjoyable work-life balance. It’s also cheap to live and run a business here. And for when you need to leave, Malmö provides great connections to the rest of the world.
Sounds too good to be true? No, it actually is that great – come check it out for yourself!
Find your new game job in Malmö
Here are game studios in Malmö that are currently hiring:
Not sure how to begin to relocate if you land a job in Malmö? Don’t worry! The studios generally have a lot of experience in relocation, and they do a lot to help new staff relocate and get settled in. After all, they want you to feel good not just about the new job, but about your new home as well. That’s how they know you’ll stick around. When interviewing for a job, ask the recruiter how the studio would help you relocate and get settled in.
12 things you should know about...
Game development in Malmö
- 1500+ game developers and 70+ studios are based in Malmö – it’s one of the highest concentrations of game developers and studios in the world
- Home to the Nordic Game Conference, publishers, investors, incubators and accelerators – all parts of the industry are here
- Seven of Sweden’s ten largest studios have offices in Malmö, including Sweden’s largest – Ubisoft Massive
- Almost 50 % of all game employees are foreign-born – 66 nationalities are represented in Malmö’s game studios
- English is overwhelmingly the main studio language
- Home to an inclusive community of game developers participating in events for both social and professional purposes, such as regular developer meetups with 400+ participants, talks, workshops, luncheons, brännboll tournament, football cup, paintball, game jams, and much more
Life in Malmö
- 350.000 inhabitants, Sweden’s 3rd largest city, and 1.4 million people in the Skåne region
- Malmö is one of the world’s most international cities, with citizens from 183 countries living in the city, and with food, shops and languages from every corner of the world
- A young vibrant city, 48 % of its inhabitants are 35 years or younger
- It’s cheap – apartments in central Malmö cost about half compared to Berlin, and a third compared to central Stockholm
- Everything is close by – beaches, Michelin awarded restaurants, parks, and shopping centers are just a short bike ride away
- Great international connections, by train or via Copenhagen Airport (which only is 20 minutes away by train from central Malmö)
This campaign is part of the project Talent supply for international establishment, which is led by Invest in Skåne/Region Skåne and Region Värmland and partly financed by the Swedish Agency for Economic and Regional Growth (Tillväxtverket).